It’s official, we’re set up in Spain and Ultra Trail Spain Running Holidays (http://ultratrailspain.com/) is up and well, running in Moclin.
Of course, we’ve had a house here in Spain for nearly 3 years and been running here as regularly as we can, however there are few things the last couple of weeks has reminded me about the fun to be had running the trails in Andalucia.
1) What goes down must go up. When you run downhill for several km, you invariably have to run back up at some point. Reserve enough energy to do so.
2) If you’re going to scrump figs from trees on the trail sides split them open before popping them into your mouth. There might be something inside (maggots!).
3) Even in October the sun burns. Wear sunscreen. Cue the idiot who scorched the back of her neck.
4) It doesn’t just rain on the plains. We’re in the mountains and it seems to be able honk it down satisfactorily here too.
5) Don’t expect the wildlife to hang around for a photo. The ibex will wait until you’re fumbling around in your pockets to hop and skip out of sight.
That’s it for now, what would you add?